Our Music Means Business: ECMW 2014 Success Stories
August . 15 . 2014
Eastlink East Coast Music Week (ECMW) is an event like no other. Not only does it provide national and international exposure to Atlantic Canada’s most talented artists, but it’s also a city-wide party for music fans who pack venues and bring down the house at our gala awards ceremony.
ECMW 2014 in Charlottetown, PE, April 2 - 6, 2014 welcomed over 14,000 audience members, including 5,800 non-residents. 1,231 music industry professionals from Canada, the United States, the United Kingdom, Ireland, Iceland, France and Australia and 709 performing musicians were registered delegates.
ECMW 2014 included the 13th edition of the International Export Buyers Program and Industry Conference, five days of sold-out artist showcases, a sold-out Industry Awards brunch that recognized the work of more than 30 industry professionals, and a sold-out Gala Awards Show. More than $145,000 was paid to the 709 showcasing artists at ECMW 2014. 50 showcasing events took place at ECMW 2014, with an additional 26 conference sessions and over 500 pre-scheduled one-on-one business meetings.
It is estimated that the confirmed early direct business negotiations resulted in more than four international booking agent/promoter signings, two Canadian agent signings, 224 confirmed shows, 45 International festival booking contracts, 67 Canadian festival performance bookings, 81 international tours, six film and television music placement licensing deals, five label/publicity contracts, and 13 showcasing and touring business development opportunities.
Success stories from the event include:
- SoHo Ghetto (NS) confirmed a festival booking at Milwaukee’s largest multi-genre music festival, Summerfest 2014 (June 27) in direct support to Canadian indie rock/ pop duo, Tegan & Sara and coincided with a US Midwest tour supported by five show bookings.
- Ten Strings and A Goat Skin (PE) confirmed three US festival bookings at Milwaukee’s Summerfest 2014 (July 3); the Philadelphia Folk Festival (August 15); and the Rhythm & Roots Festival (August 29) in Rhode Island and has provided an anchor date to confirm two additional festival and concert bookings in Vermont and New Hampshire. The band also won the Summerfest Emerging Artist Fan Vote, which included $2,000 worth of gear.
- Ten Strings and A Goat Skin (PE) have confirmed US booking agency representation with Myriad Artists, resulting from meetings at ECMW with promoter, Chuck Wentworth (Grey Fox Entertainment/ Rhythm and Roots Festival).
- Old Man Luedecke (NS) confirmed two US festival bookings at the 2014 Philadelphia Folk Festival (August 15-17) and the Bumbershoot Festival (September 1) in Seattle, WA.
- Kim Wempe, Keith Mullins, Carmel Mikol (NS), Tim Chaisson Trio (PE) and Ryan LeBlanc (NB) confirmed bookings at the 2014 Artsplosure, The Raleigh Arts Festival (May 17 - 18) in NC. This has led to a confirmed a concert booking for Kim Wempe at the Outdoor Concert Series at the Sertoma Amphitheatre in Bond Park, North Carolina (September 2014) and will be supported by a US tour.
- Amelia Curran and the Fortunate Ones (NL) secured booking interest and negotiations are underway to perform at the First Night Raleigh New Years Eve celebration and Artsplosure 2015, The Raleigh Arts Festival (May 16-17).
- Matt Andersen (NS/NB) confirmed a festival booking at the 2014 California WorldFest (July 12 - 13) and the Rhythm & Roots Festival (August 29-31) in Rhode Island.
- Dan DeWayne confirmed booking interest in Ten Strings and A Goat Skin (PE), the Barra MacNeils (CB) and Dave Gunning (NS) for the 2015 California WorldFest (July 9 – 12).
- David Myles (NS) confirmed a 2015 festival booking at the Strawberry Music Festival with ECMW 2013 program delegate Charlie Cran (May 2015) and will result in a US tour.
- Mary Jane Lamond & Wendy MacIsaac (CB) and Gordie MacKeeman and His Rhythm Boys (PE) confirmed bookings at the 2014 Millpond Music Festival from September 19-21 in Bishops, California.
- Charlie A’Court and Dave Gunning (NS) confirmed festival bookings at the 2014 Kerrville Folk Festival with programmer, Dalis Allen (August 20-31) in Kerrville, Texas.
- Chrissy Crowley (CB) confirmed seven concert and festival bookings (from ECMW2014 and participation in prior programs) and will complete a North Eastern US tour (from July 5 – 20) performing in Massachusetts, Maine and New Hampshire.
- Chrissy Crowley, Cassie and Maggie MacDonald (CB) confirmed booking negotiations with Tom MacDonald, Calais Concert Series in Maine to support touring in the New England market (2014).
- Charlie Jordan, programmer of the Tillotson Centre for the Arts (Colebrook, New Hampshire) has confirmed concert booking negotiations with Ashelin (NL), Còig (CB) and Ten Strings and A Goat Skin (PE) and will result in US tours for each group.
- Còig (CB) confirmed several shows performing at the Skye Theatre, Tillotson Centre and Maine Calais Concert Series to coincide with a July US tour.
- Andy Shearer with the Southern Fried Americana Festival confirmed that he will be booking two-three artists for the next three years resulting from ECMW 2014.
- Cyndi Cain (NS) confirmed a 2014 festival booking at the Southern Fried Americana Festival and the Edinburgh Jazz Festival in Scotland (July 2014).
- As a result of attending ECMW, Craig Corse, booking agent with TwentyTwo Promotions is working closely with Showcase Scotland (Lisa Whytock, Active Events) to launch the Festival of Small Halls touring model throughout Scotland. This will provide a reciprocal touring exchange network and will create business and touring opportunities for Atlantic Canadian and Scottish exporting artists.
- Paper Beat Scissors (NS) confirmed a booking agent signing with UK booking agency, The Local, and resulted in an introductory UK tour with 11 show bookings. The group will also perform at the 2014 Wilderness Festival (August 7) and the Ramsbottom Festival (September 19-21) and will coincide with a European tour.
- Alan & Sandra Surtees, co-founders and programmers of UK’s Shrewsbury Festival, have committed to booking three-four artists/ groups for the 2015 festival.
- Mary Jane Lamond & Wendy MacIsaac and Chrissy Crowley (CB) have confirmed booking offers from the Shrewsbury Folk Festival and the Shepley Spring Festival (2015) and will result in UK tours for each group.
- Ten Strings and A Goat Skin (PE) have confirmed UK booking representation with Adastra Agency (Chris Wade) and has secured booking interest at the 2015 Shrewsbury Folk Festival and Cambridge Folk Festival.
- Ten Strings and A Goat Skin (PE) have confirmed a festival booking performing several Stadium concerts at the Festival Interceltique de Lorient (Lisardo Lombardia) in France (August 1 - 7) and have confirmed a booking contract at the 2015 festival.
- Lizzie Evans, owner of EvansAbove PR expressed interest in coordinating UK publicity for Paper Lions (PE), Gabrielle Papillon, Carleton Stone, Kim Wempe (NS) and Hat Fitz & Cara Robinson (AU) (already working with Mo Kenney and Jenn Grant) to support product releases and tours.
- les Païens (NB) secured booking interest and are in discussion with the organizers of "les Nuits Acadiennes" held in Paris, France in November 2014.
- Charlie A’Court (NS) completed his fifth tour of Australia (March 18 – April 21) performing at the 2014 Blues BBQ Festival, the Yakadanda Festival, and 10+ support (for Diesel, 2013 AUSCAN Music Spotlight artist) and solo shows. Charlie is also working with Diesel to produce his new recording and will deliver co-touring opportunities. Charlie has also confirmed a festival booking at the 2015 Thredbo Blues Festival (January 17 - 19) and will return to Australia on his sixth tour supported by 12-16 additional shows/ dates.
- Tim Chaisson and Koady Chaisson (PE) and Matt Andersen (NS/NB) have confirmed festival bookings at the 2014 Woodford Folk Festival (December 27 - January 1). Booking offers will be extended to Jenn Grant (NS) and Irish Mythen (PE) for the 2014 festival.
- Tim Chaisson (PE) will be releasing his new recording in October 2014 and will be touring Australia in November – January 2015.
- Andy Brown (NB) will complete his fourth Australian tour (July 2014) and will include 15+ shows supporting Australia recording artist, Ian Moss. A return to market tour will take place October/ November 2014.
- Andy Brown (NB) will participate in the Woodford Folk Festival initiative Australia’s Festival of Small Halls tour (October 1 – November 23) and will include 25+ shows marking his fifth tour Down Under. The Festival of Small touring network and export platform provides an effective avenue to develop new markets throughout Australia for Atlantic Canadian artists.
- Kim Wempe (NS) will complete her second return to market tour (in October/ November 2014) and will include 10+ show bookings in Australia.
- Heather Green, Kim Wempe, Gloryhound (NS) have confirmed music placements in Global TV’s Rookie Blue (season 5) with music supervisor, David Hayman (SuperSonic Creative, Toronto).
- David Myles & Classified (NS) secured a music placement on CTV’s acclaimed medical drama series, Grey’s Anatomy for their award-winning song, Inner Ninja.
- David Myles (NS) confirmed a music placement licensing deal with music supervisor, Laura Webb in a new web-based series she is music supervising.
- Alert The Medic (NS) secured a music placement licensing deal for their song, The Weatherman in Global TV’s series, Rookie Blue.
- Chrissy Crowley, Còig and Spag Session (CB) have confirmed festival bookings at the 2014 Ottawa Folk Festival (September 10-14).
- Cyndi Cain (NS) and Matt Andersen and the Mellotones (NS/NB) confirmed festival bookings at the 2014 Ottawa BluesFest (July 3-13).
- Debbie Slade, Program Director of the Centre for the Arts, Brock University expressed booking interest in bookings for Mo Kenney, David Myles, Dave Gunning, Dylan Guthro, Ian Sherwood, Old Man Luedecke, Thom Swift (NS), Andy Brown (NB), Tim Chaisson, Paper Lions (PE), Sherman Downey and The Ambiguous Case (NL) and the Barra MacNeils (CB).
- Ten Strings and A Goat Skin, Vishten (PE) and Cassie & Maggie MacDonald (CB) confirmed concert bookings at the Calgary Folk Music Club (2014/2015).
- Chrissy Crowley (CB) has confirmed a festival booking with the Hamilton Blues & Roots Festival (2015) with program delegate Lane Dunlop.
- Mo Kenney, Molly Thomason, Don Brownrigg (NS), Tim Chaisson (PE), The Secrets (NL) and the Rua MacMillan Trio confirmed festival bookings at the WorldPride 2014 Festival in Toronto (June 20 – 29).
- Les Hôtesses d'Hilaire, Les Jeunes d'Asteure , La Virée (NB), Vishten and Ten Strings and A Goat Skin (PE) secured booking interest at Winnipeg’s 2015 Festival du Voyager (Julian Desaulniers).
- Nicole Rochefort, owner of Artists In Motion (AIM) Booking Agency (Toronto, ON) confirmed booking agent representation with Don Brownrigg and James Hill (NS). Nicole is also the Canadian agent representing Catherine MacLellan (PE) and Laura Smith (NS).
- Còig (CB) have signed a booking agent representation deal with Bob Jensen of Jensen Music International (JMI) Agency to represent and book the Celtic group (Chrissy Crowley, Colin Grant, Jason Roach, Rachel Davis and Darren McMullen).
- Les Hotesses d’Hilaire (NB) secured booking interest with programmer, Marc-André Sarault with Les Francofolies de Montréal.
- les Païens (NB) secured booking interest with the Festival International de Jazz de Montréal (Marc-André Sarault), TD PEI Jazz & Blues Festival (Doug Millington), and the TD Halifax Jazz Festival (Lulu Healy) for 2015 festival bookings.
- Darcy Campbell, Artistic Director of Charlottetown’s Confederation Centre of the Arts, has committed to booking and programming six acts over the next year.
- Catherine MacLellan, Dennis Ellsworth (PE), Fortunate Ones, Sherman Downey and the Ambiguous Case (NL), Ryan Cook, Carmel Mikol, Molly Thomason and Thom Swift (NS) confirmed a festival bookings at the 2014 Stan Rogers Folk Festival (July 4 – 6) in Canso, NS. Due to Hurricane Arthur and the cancellation of this year festival, booking offers will be transferred to the 2015 festival.
- Amelia Curran, Ennis (NL), Christine Campbell, Ben Caplan, Charlie A’Court, Gypsophilia, Kim Harris, Keith Mullins, Ian Sherwood, Breagh MacKinnon, Kim Wempe (NS), Sprag Session, Bruce & Dylan Guthro (CB) and Alan Jeffries (NS/NB) confirmed festival bookings at the 2014 Lunenburg Folk Harbour Festival (August 7 - 10).
- Mo Kenney, Alert The Medic, Kim Wempe, Carleton Stone, The Town Heroes, Scientists of Sound, SoHo Ghetto, Rain Over St. Ambrose (NS), and Tom Fun Orchestra (CB) were booked at the 2014 New Glasgow Riverfront Jubilee (August 1 – 3).
- Sherman Downey and the Ambiguous Case, the Navigators (NL), Ben Caplan, Dave Gunning, Jim Dorie, Modern Grass, Thom Swift, (NS), Tom Fun Orchestra (CB) and Ashley Condon (PE) confirmed festival bookings at the 2014 Larlee Creek Hullabaloo Festival (August 15 – 17 in Perth Andover, NB). Larlee Creek Hullabaloo Festival has also confirmed a 2015 festival booking with Chrissy Crowley (CB).
- Cassie & Maggie MacDonald (CB) have confirmed a concert booking at Pictou’s deCoste Entertainment Centre (Troy Greencorn) to perform in the Summer Sounds concert series (July 29 - 31).
- Laura ‘Lulu’ Healy, Artistic Director for the TD Halifax Jazz Festival has committed to booking several artists for the 2014/ 2015 festival season. Confirmed 2014 festival bookings include, Cyndi Cain, Dan Doiron, Erin Costelo, Gypsophilia, Shirley Jackson, The Heavy Blinkers, Joshua Van Tassel and Kayo (NS).
- Resulting from meetings at ECMW 2013, Mo Kenney (NS) confirmed a festival booking at the 2014 Calgary Folk Festival (July 24-27) and the Regina Folk Festival (August 9 -10) with program delegates, Sandra Butel and Kerry Clarke.
- Old Man Luedecke, James Hill (NS), Matt Andersen and the Mellotones (NS/NB), and Hey Rosetta! (NL) confirmed festival bookings at the 2014 Calgary Folk Festival (July 24-27).
- Rose Cousins (NS/PE) and James Hill (NS) confirmed festival bookings at the 2014 Vancouver Folk Music Festival (July 19-20).
- Matt Andersen (NS/NB) and Joel Plaskett Emergency (NS) confirmed festival bookings at the 2014 Regina Folk Festival (August 8-10) in Saskatchewan.
- Tim Chaisson (PE), Ennis (NL) and Kim Wempe (NS) confirmed festival bookings at the 2014 Mariposa Folk Festival (July 4-6) in Orillia, ON.
- Dave Gunning (NS) confirmed a festival booking’s at the 2014 Canmore Folk Festival (August 2- 4) and will result in several shows in AB/SK.