Sound of Pop (SOP) Inc. is an ECMA award-winning music publishing & master/sync representation company owned and operated by Glenn McMullen and Tim Hardy based in Wolfville, Nova Scotia.
Sound of Pop Publishing, an active member of the Canadian Music Publishers Association (CMPA), currently represents 3000+ songs world-wide in a one-stop capacity for sync representation and/or publishing including many by East Coast Artists including Chris Kirby (NS), Christina Martin (NS), Keith Mullins (NS), Hello Delaware (NS), Brianna Gosse (NS), Charlie A’Court, Floodland (NS), Dance Movie (NS), Mitchell Bailey (NS), Rosewood Annie (NS), Coco Love Alcorn (NS-born), Andrew Waite (PEI), Tomato Tomato (NB), FM Berlin (NB), Brittany McQuinn (NB), Tyler Hache (NB), Quote The Raven (NL), Fairgale (NL), Chris Ryan (NL), Mick Davis (NL), Townhouse (NL) and more. Other Canadian acts represented include Steven Bowers, Candice Sand, Andi, Runaway Angel, The Lynnes, and Jesse Peters. SOP also represents international acts Ume, Free Dominguez/Kidney Thieves, and Hydrogen Child (United States), Bettie Serveert (Netherlands), Voltaire Twins (Australia) and more, in a variety of capacities.
In 2018 Sound of Pop signed an agreement to act as sub-publisher for the US-based company Figure and Groove to represent their publishing in Canada adding another 2000+ tracks to its catalogue.
SOP Published Songs have been heard on: SEGA videogames, MTV, Disney Channel, Disney Records, CBS, ABC, CTV, CBC, Family Channel, YTV, Outdoor Life Network, Lifetime Television, SONY TelevisionDVD, Living TV [UK], TV3 [Ireland], and more.
Placements of Sound of Pop tracks include TV shows such as REX, Kim's Convenience, Heartland, Sunnyvale Shoals, Mohawk Girls, Rookie Blue, and Degrassi; regional films including Relative Happiness, Hammer, Audience of Chairs, and The Divorce; feature film “Criminal Activities” starring John Travolta, “The Sun at Midnight”, “The Good Americans”; Hallmark/Harlequin TV movies “Mum’s the Word” and “Love Alaska” as well as ad spots including Discover Saint John and Urban Tree.
2018/19 saw SOP receive its very first national Top 30 charting radio hit (BRDGS - “In The Wild”) and a #1 Earshot Folk/Roots/Blues album in May 2019 (Tomato/Tomato - “Canary In A Coalmine”) and SOP published tracks have now generated over 3 Million Spotify Streams. SOP were also recently nominated by The East Coast Music Association for 2019 “Company of the Year”.
- 2019 ECMA Nomination for “Company of the Year”
- 3 Million Spotify Streams of songs published by Sound of Pop.
- National Top 30 charting song BRDGS - In The Wild” (co-written by SOP writer Gordon Huxter)
- Chris Ryan’s single "Last Forever" has approx. 136,000 streams on Spotify and was added to the Down Home Country Spotify playlist.
- FM Berlin has approx. 300k total streams on Spotify and multiple singles were added to the Ready To Rock Spotify playlist
- Matt Andersen “Honest Man”-1.16 Million+ Spotify streams) (*Chris Kirby cowrite)
- Quote The Raven “Laser Beam” 200k+ Spotify streams for (Publishing Roster)
- Quote The Raven “Golden Hour” - 82k+ Spotify streams and added to the Folk & Friends Spotify playlist)
- Mitchell Bailey - 250k+ total Spotify streams (Publishing Roster)
- Tomato/Tomato - 100k+ Spotify streams for “Take On Me” *added to Down Home Country playlist
- Sub-publishing agreement signed with US-based publisher Figure and Groove to represent their catalogue in Canada.
- Chris Ryan was an East Semi-Finalist in the SiriusXM Top of the Country Project (2018)
- 2016 Music Newfoundland SOCAN “Songwriter of the Year” WINNER Chris Kirby (publishing roster)
- SOP published song “cold” (co-written by Chris Kirby) appeared on the East Pointers Juno award winning “Traditional Roots Album of the Year”.
- SOP Published song Honest Man (recorded by Matt Andersen and co-written by Chris Kirby) reached #3 in the CBC Radio 2 Top 20 chart and was also licensed by Universal Music Australia and the Australian Broadcast Corporation for a Best of Roots and Blues 2017 compilation.
- 2017 Song of the Year nomination by Folk Alliance International for SOP published song “We Are Love" performed by The Once (co-written by Chris Kirby)